Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Beginning Reader's Bible



Thomas Nelson (February 15, 2011) 192 pages Ages 4-8

Description:
This exceptionally illustrated Bible storybook allows children to read the story, pray to God, and grow closer to Him.

Using actual Bible text from the International Children's Bible® as well as prayers, memory verses, and fun activities, children will love this large format and be engrossed in the intricate detail of the illustrations. Bible stories from the Old and New Testaments are included and stories are accompanied by a prayer for the child to pray, a verse to memorize, and a fun activity to help them grow.

My Review:
The main thing to remember with this book is that it is a Bible Storybook, NOT a Bible. I know it says that in the description. :) It tells you at the beginning of each story that it is SELECTED verses from the book and chapter. The good thing is it numbers it according to what was selected. For example, it may number, Chapter 1, verses 1, 3, 5, 10, etc. This makes it much easier to check on the stories and translation. If I was reviewing this book as an actual Bible, I would in no way recommend it. BUT, as a Bible storybook, I MOSTLY liked it.

I didn't like that some of the stories left out parts I thought were important. One of the first stories was about Adam and Eve. It simply says God created human beings. (male and female at the exact same time). I would have liked it to have somehow told about the separate creation of male and female. I know to some, I'm just being picky on that, but we're ALL picky about SOMETHING! :) There were different stories that I would have liked to have had more details in them. That goes along with the translation as well as choices for what verses to include.

In my reading, though, I did learn a few things. Like in the story of Noah. I didn't know that he sent out a raven before the dove. I thought I knew that story pretty well, and was thinking this book had added that, but when I went to my Bible, I learned something new. I know! I should have known that, but somehow I missed it all these years.

I especially liked the following "Do God's Word" section:
"People usually celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmastime. But Jesus' birth is a wonderful thing to celebrate anytime!" SO true!!

Like I've said in my past reviews of Bibles, I didn't compare every single verse to see if I thought it was appropriate. I do plan on it as I go along, though, because as my son gets older, I won't read him anything that adds or takes away from the Bible.
Revelation 22:18 and 19(New King James Version)
"For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book: and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."
I HIGHLY encourage you to be careful with the different translations!!

Also, this book adds "The Prayer of Salvation" at the end. I'll leave you with your own conclusions on that, but I do want to point that out. (And just so you know, it is the last page before the cover page, so it can be torn out without being noticeable). ;)

Lastly, I want to say what a really nice book this is. My husband and I were both very pleasantly surprised when we pulled it out of the envelope. It's bigger than I thought it would be, with a thick, sturdy, board cover. The pages are thick, too, but not board. Just thick paper pages, kind of like cardstock. The pictures are gorgeous and there's even a little ribbon bookmark attached.

*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment